Associate Digital Marketing Manager, UNC Press
The University of North Carolina Press is seeking a talented Associate Digital Marketing Manager to join the Marketing Department. The individual in this position will be responsible for managing the current online marketing practices for UNC Press, working with the Director of Public Relations and Communications to further develop and implement overall digital content strategy. This position will be focused on using social media platforms to maximize UNC Press’s exposure on the web, developing shared communities of interest, increasing sales, and implementing direct-to-consumer online initiatives. This position reports to the Director of Public Relations and Communications (DPRC).
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Create and implement existing online marketing strategies and plans for UNC Press titles that complement and/or extend offline promotional and publicity campaigns, and target consumer audiences on the web. This includes uncpress.org, uncpressblog.com content, and social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Develop and implement strategy to promote new frontlist releases, in addition to backlist titles, perennial bestsellers, as well as series of books. Create and deploy online engagement plans that reach communities of readers (general reader and academic) within our major publishing disciplines.
- Work with acquisitions and series editors, authors, and other departments at the Press (GA, Development, and OSPS) to expand the voices and formats the Press is promoting via the blog and social media.
- Devise, create content for, and manage UNC Press social media presence on platforms that include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. This will include managing existing accounts, and helping maintain accounts—for series, disciplines, authors, etc.—to maximize the Press’s presence, in order to increase visibility and drive increased traffic to the UNC Press website.
- Oversee creation of graphics for homepage web banners, as well as promotional graphics for use by authors and/or UNC Press on social feeds.
- Manage the creation and oversight of an editorial content calendar for the UNC Press Blog, including writing or arranging for weekly posts. Work with inside and outside of house personnel (including UNC Press staff, authors, etc.) to commission blog posts in order to promote new and backlist titles, exhibits and conferences, press initiatives, etc. Collaborate with DPRC to produce reactive blog posts based on current events.
- Develop and extend UNC Press direct-to-consumer initiatives, including growing e-newsletter subscriptions, supporting existing consumer programs (publicity, advertising, direct mail, exhibits), and seeking new ways to reach and engage consumers via the internet, including keyword search advertising, banner advertising, affiliate sites, etc.
- Maintain existing partnerships with marketing partners (including academic associations, departments at UNC as well as on other campuses) and actively build new relationships to create new marketing opportunities. This includes online market research, finding new sites appropriate for UNC Press books, contacting and building relationships for content, links, list building, advertising, sales, etc.
- College degree, three or more years of related marketing experience preferred.
- Experience working with all the social media platforms—Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc, as well as WordPress, Canva, etc.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office: Word, Excel required.
- Must be well organized, highly motivated, flexible, and able to work independently.
This is a full-time position located in Chapel Hill, NC, with salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Review of applications will begin on February 22, 2021, and end on March 15, 2021. Interested candidates should email their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources, Adele Sommerville, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About UNC Press
UNC Press is a nonprofit publisher of both scholarly and general interest books and journals, affiliated with the University of North Carolina System. From its early days, the Press adopted the principle that its books should not merely observe but seek to understand, explain, and thereby improve our world. In keeping with that principle, UNC Press became the first scholarly publisher to develop an ongoing program of books by and about African Americans, beginning in the late 1920s, and was at the vanguard of the interdisciplinary field of gender and women’s studies in the 1970s. In addition to works on global history, religion, politics, and culture, the Press pioneered one of the earliest and strongest regional publishing programs in the country, publishing books on the people, culture, and environment of the South, cultivating a vital legacy for the future. The Press is also a leading publisher of works of Indigenous studies and histories of the carceral state, among other subjects that engage with pressing issues of social concern. The Press’s offices are located on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in the thriving Research Triangle region of North Carolina. To learn more about the Press, visit www.uncpress.org/about.
UNC Press values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. The work we publish reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences and bringing them to the widest possible audience. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA PRESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V