Editorial Assistant – UNC Press
UNC Press is seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual to join our growing publishing program as an editorial assistant. Working with the editing, design, and production team under the supervision of the Press’s managing editor, the individual in this position will support the manuscript editorial team editorially and administratively at all stages of the editorial publishing process.
- Provide editorial and administrative support to the managing editor (and project editors on an as-needed basis).
- Prepare manuscripts for copyediting.
- Check page proof at various stages.
- Edit indexes.
- Perform other related work as needed.
- BA/BS or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interest in publishing and an eagerness to learn about the business of scholarly publishing.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to track, prioritize and complete work within specific timeframes.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Proficient in MS Word and its editing tools.
- Working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Familiarity with standard editing and proofreading marks.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Willingness to adhere to Press’s Code of Conduct and commit to our work supporting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Enjoy working with a small, fast-paced team.
- Highly motivated, well organized, flexible, and goal oriented
This is an entry-level, full-time position based in Chapel Hill, NC. Interested candidates should email their resume, cover letter, potential start date, and salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources, Adele Sommerville, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of resumes will begin on September 30, 2021 and continue until the position has been filled.
About UNC Press
UNC Press is a nonprofit publisher of both scholarly and general interest books and journals, affiliated with the University of North Carolina System. Over nearly a century, the Press has earned the reputation for publishing engaging, enduring scholarship and books that explore important questions, spark lively debates, generate ideas, and move inquiry forward. UNC Press prides itself on publishing books that do not merely observe but seek to understand, to explain, and thereby to improve our world. The Press’s offices are located on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the thriving Research Triangle region of North Carolina, which is consistently rated one of the best places to live in the nation. Our publishing perspective is at once local, national, and international, extending from our offices in Chapel Hill across North Carolina and around the globe. To learn more about the Press, visit www.uncpress.org/about.
UNC Press values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. The work we publish reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences and bringing them to the widest possible audience. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA PRESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V