Production Editor – Longleaf Services, Inc.
Longleaf Services, Inc., is seeking a Production Editor to support and help manage the production of a list of books and journals, both print and online. Longleaf, a wholly owned subsidiary of UNC Press, is a publishing services and full service fulfillment company, that manages customer service, takes and processes orders, manages credit and collections, third party warehousing, inventory management, and royalty processing for a consortium of 18 university presses. The position is based in Chapel Hill, NC.
- Managing relationships with multiple presses
- Serving as primary contact with authors while keeping presses updated
- Evaluating transmittals for completeness and chasing missing materials
- Hiring and supervising freelance copyeditors, indexers, and proofreaders
- Developing and enforcing schedules
- Trafficking manuscripts and page proofs among authors, vendors, and presses
- Resolving issues with authors, client presses, vendors
- Assisting in the onboarding of new client presses
- Providing estimates for special projects
- Using technology platforms to generate proofs and epubs for selected titles
- Tracking costs
- Reviewing and approving invoices
- Providing QA for epub files
- Maintaining documentation for both in-house and external use
- 3-5 years of publishing experience, preferably in production
- Must be able to work in an environment in which gray is more prevalent than black & white and priorities shift often
- Confidence to make decisions on limited information is critical, as is the ability to clearly communicate those decisions (and their justification)
- Patience, good humor, and perspective are helpful
- Proficiency in MS Office suite is necessary; knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and design InDesign are helpful
This is a full-time position with salary and benefits. Review of applications will begin immediately and end on September 28, 2021. Interested candidates should email their resume with cover letter including salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LONGLEAF SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V
Longleaf Services values a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will build upon our past efforts to attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.