Microbes on My Mind
A Middle School Perspective
By North Carolina State University 4-H
156 pp., 8.5 x 11, 73 color images, appends
Paperback ISBN: 978-1-7329-8231-4
Published: January 2019
Buy this Book
This title is not eligible for UNC Press promotional pricing.
Distributed for the North Carolina 4-H
Did you know that there are tiny organisms that are all around you, on you, and inside you? These tiny organisms are called microbes. Microbiology is the study of microorganisms or microbes, which are very small organisms that cannot be seen with the human eye. In today's society, much of the research in the microbiology field focuses around biochemistry and pathology. Many microorganisms are what are known as pathogens or disease-carrying microorganisms, BUT not all microbes are pathogens! Some microorganisms are good guys and are necessary in our world.
In this book, you'll....
* Discover the role microbes play in our bodies, our ecosystem, and our food.
* Make connections between their existing knowledge of microorganisms, human health, and potential career paths.
* Deepen understanding of microbes in history, where they can be found, how to prevent the spread of microbes on them and in their food.
* Address of the misconceptions surrounding microbiology and gain a better understanding of how important microbes are in our ecosystem.
* Understand of the importance of food safety and the precautions that need to be taken in keeping their bodies healthy and protected.