232 pp., 8 x 9, 62 color plates, 1 map, 23 tables, appends., index
Paperback ISBN: 978-1-4696-6967-0
Published: September 2022
eBook ISBN: 978-1-4696-6968-7
Published: July 2022
Paperback Available September 2022, but pre-order your copy today!
Buy this Book
In this lively and heartening guide, Barbara J. Sullivan offers an essential, easy-to-use resource for adapting to the new realities of climate change. This book will empower southerners to grow beautiful gardens while using gardening practices that contribute to solutions for our shared environment.
- Surveys the science behind climate change and gardening
- Covers USDA hardiness zones 5a to 9b, which include thirteen southeastern states
- Gives advice on planning and installing gardens that will not only thrive but also help address critical environmental challenges
- Covers key topics ranging from designing a climate-friendly garden that will attract songbirds and pollinators to weaning off gas-powered tools to using water wisely
- Features a wealth of color illustrations, charts, and tables brimming with recommended native plants for the region
About the Author
Barbara J. Sullivan, author of Garden Perennials for the Coastal South, lives and gardens in Wilmington, North Carolina.
For more information about Barbara J. Sullivan, visit the Author Page.
"I appreciate the regional emphasis of this book; with its focus on native plants, it brings the discussion of climate change to a useful local level. Will appeal to gardeners interested in taking a more sustainable gardening path, and of course, the more people who take action, the better!"—Ginny Stibolt, author of Climate-Wise Landscaping: Practical Actions for a Sustainable Future
"Will assist a wide range of gardeners, experienced or not, in creating climate-friendly gardens at their own homes. Explaining the key scientific principles in simple, understandable language, Sullivan teaches how to grow places that are alive, fascinating, and more attractive to birds and other wildlife."—Barbara W. Ellis, author of Chesapeake Gardening & Landscaping: The Essential Green Guide